Back when I used to work as a barista in a coffee shop, way before all my dietary restrictions, lemon slice was my go-to treat. We would get the most uh-maaaazing cakes and slices delivered weekly and the lemon slices were particularly delicious – a base of firm buttery lemony biscuit with a heavenly white soft sugar icing on top. Oh my god, I think I used to get my daily sugar allowance in just one bite of those bad boys. (I also used to eat the leftover icing from the carrot cake off the sides of the box, with a triple shot espresso filled with hazelnut syrup…but that’s another story…) While I stopped eating lemon slices after discovering how bad their nutritional profile is, I still put lemon in almost everything. Except for in a glass of warm water – sorry everyone, I just can’t get around that healthy habit. It ain’t right. I get my lemon kicks in salad dressings, on veggies, in avocado pudding, and in baked goods. Unfortunately, I hadn’t been able to find a good clean dupe recipe for my old mate lemon slice. Until today.
These lemon balls taste just like a lemon slice. I shit you not. These were taste tasted on a particularly picky male (“Is that healthy? I’m not eating it.”) who came away stating – “not bad. Actually tastes like lemon slice.” Which in male speak translates to “that’s the best fucking thing I’ve ever tasted.”
There’s only a few ingredients in this recipe, and you can pretty much have them ready in the time it takes to chuck some stuff in the blender and turn it on. I mean, you’re supposed to roll the mixture into balls and let them firm up in the fridge, but we both know you’re going to eat that lemony goodness straight out of the blender like an animal. (Just me? Oh.)
These balls are vegan, paleo, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, raw, and actually contain some awesome healthy fats and vitamin C, courtesy of the lemon and coconut oil. You could also use lime if that is your ~citrus of choice~ or you could just do it a la Lauren and add way more lemon than necessary to amp up the tang, which results in a bit of a Shelbyville situation…
For an extra energy boost I would add some protein powder to the mix, or even throw in some chia seeds for a bit of crunch. Whatever you do, make these balls – if you love lemon slice, these will be right up your alley.
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cups shredded or dessicated coconut (unsweetened)
- 1-2 lemons
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 1 scraped vanilla pod (or vanilla powder)
- pinch himalayan sea salt
- In a food processor, blend cashews, coconut, vanilla and sea salt until it reaches a fine powder consistency.
- Add softened coconut oil, rice malt syrup and the zest and juice of two* lemons.
- Blend until you get a smooth dough, then place dough in the freezer to firm up for one-two hours.
- One firm, roll dough out into balls, and roll in dessicated/shredded coconut.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- *Use one lemon to start with, and add more to taste.